Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Looking ahead: Free Comic Book Day 2009

This year Free Comic Book Day falls on May 2nd. The FCBD website has covers and details for the gold comics which will be offered ("gold" being the titles most likely to be in every participating store) and a brief list of the silver titles ("silver" being less likely to be in every store).

What looks good in the golds:

I don't think I'm interested in Blackest Night per se, but I am proud of DC for finally offering original content on FCBD. Who knows, maybe next year they'll realize they should be offering a stand-alone story instead of a trailer for their next crossover?; speaking of stand-alone original content, Marvel has an Avengers comic; and Image is offering a Savage Dragon reprint with the Golden Age Daredevil putting in an appearance.

What looks good in the silvers:

The silver blurbs are so brief that it's hard for me to judge their contents; most of them seem to be preview material. At any rate, the EC Comics Sampler should be fantastic, assuming that it isn't the same book they offered last year; ditto Love & Capes and Atomic Robo and Friends; Marvel has Wolverine: Origin of an X-Man, whatever that is; Mirage is reprinting the first issue of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which I've never read, despite being a huge TMNT fan back in the day; and I have about zero interest in William Shatner Presents, but in my mind I'm imagining it as a horror comic ala Gold Key's Boris Karloff's Tales of Mystery comics and that tickles my fancy.

I won't know for certain which I'll be taking home until they lie before me on May 2nd.

No comments: