Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Young Fears 27: Godzilla vs. Gigan

Each October I like to run a series of Halloween-themed posts on this blog. All this month, I'll be telling anecdotes about things which frightened me while growing up.

Somehow, the line of Godzilla movies didn't play in my family's house. I do recall watching bits of Godzilla vs. Megalon during a TNT Monstervision marathon, but that film wasn't exactly geared to make anyone want to watch those films. Earlier than that, however, I rented my first Godzilla movie from the local Red Basket: Godzilla vs. Gigan! Yeah, a giant metal monster with a buzz saw in his chest and hooks for hands! What kid wouldn't like it?

And yet, I was still repulsed by the film. Not because of Godzilla himself (he did his best with the material, I have great respect for him as an actor) but because of the aliens who were pulling the strings behind Gigan: a couple of giant cockroaches! Ewww! Yuck! Bugs! It may have been years since Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom but I still had no love for big bugs. Those stinkin' cockroaches ruined the movie for me.

No comments: